Last month, I watched the video of Mark Zuckerberg’s 20-minute speech at Tsinghua University. Similar to Steve Job’s Standford University speech ten year ago, there are also three stories. The difference is Mark Zuckerberg gave his speech in Mandarin. That probably also exudes Zuckerberg’s respect for most of his Chinese audience and his belief in China’s future. Subsequently, I asked my daughter to watch the video and write a summary on it also. Because I think it is so important myself, I am going to summarize it and keep it here in my blog library as well.
Believing in a mission
- Not “how” but “why” you should build! Do something you think it is really important, and forget about the how.
- When you have a mission, it helps you to focus.
- People are the most important thing in our lives, that is why focus on people.
- If you know your mission, you do not need to know the whole plan to go forward, you just need to care more.
- You will meet with many problems, others will doubt you, but don’t give up.
- Care more, keep working hard and you can change the world.
" 只要功夫深 铁杵磨成针 "
(As long as you work hard, a piece of metal can become a needle.)
- It does not matter if you do not know how to solve the problem, most important is to know that the mission is so important and continue to look ahead.
- Learning is the key to innovation and with each step forward, you can do new things.
- If you can help people around you, then in the future we will benefit from it also.
“Compare to 15 years ago, we’re big. Compared to 15 years from now, we’re still a baby.” – Jack Ma
Ask yourself why you are doing. Believe in your mission. Solve important problems. Care deeply about them. Don’t give up. And always look ahead. Make life better for people around you.