'I have spent my life, so much of it, building up this country. There's nothing more that I need to do. At the end of the day, what have I got? A successful Singapore. What have I given up? My life.'
- Lee Kuan Yew
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong quoted the above message on behalf of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew towards the end of loving father's life.
We all know that our founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew passed away on 23 Mar 2015 morning. Singapore will mourn for his death for the next 7 days.
I considered myself so fortunate to have read his last two books. They are “One Man’s View of the World” in 2013 and “The Big Ideas” last year.
For the Big Ideas, I had summarise some of my thoughts garnered/learned from the book as follows. These were replica of my earlier post. You can refer to my earlier articles links at the end of this post.
LKY's Big Ideas:
• Before you start anything, be honest, have integrity and non-corruptible
• If something is worth doing and what you firmly believe, chase till the end.
• Size does not determine our destiny.
• Stay relevant always. Adapt and Change if necessary.
• Be courageous. Respect is always mutual, despite your size disadvantage.
• Taking calculated risk is necessary at times, as long as you plan thoroughly.
• Learn from the best including their errors.
• Be attentive to detail but keeping big picture in mind.
• Theories and Philosophy are important, but please also “Take Action.”
• Confront problems, not escape from it.
• Develop and maintain external relationship.
• Think ahead and think long term.
His Famous Quote....
Below a 3 parts video on Lee Kuan Yew.
For more about Mr. Lee, please refer to his website www.lee-kuan-yew.com